Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Guitar Center is getting Girl Friendly??  (Read 16878 times)
SalesAss
Super Duper Mega Rock Star Type Person and Defender of Mulletude.
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 08, 2011, 06:40:32 PM »

This could go in the "Working there Sucks" or Shopping there sucks categories,  but it's a fun read.

http://www.westword.com/2011-08-04/music/guitar-center-sexism-laura-taylor/

I don't think that Daisy Rock is going to save their soul though.

Guitar Center Sucks...  It has for a long time, and keeps sucking more day after day.
Offset Macaroni

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 04:51:22 AM »

In NY and NJ I have noticed they almost all have a girl greeting at the front door now. I guess girls are good enough to greet but not sell gear according to GC.
McNulty
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 07:15:13 AM »

Wow, just when you think Laura taylor can get no lower...

You've got to question what the girl's rock camps think about being so blatantly used.
I mean, this is in painfully bad taste.
DrumBob
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 04:45:41 AM »

Yes, there are girls greeting you at both the Paramus stores. The Route 17 store has a very cute girl named K**** working there now. If I wasn't married and old enough to be her father, I would be interested.
SalesAss
Super Duper Mega Rock Star Type Person and Defender of Mulletude.
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 06:35:33 AM »

The "Door Girls"  are an obvious ploy...    It's not uncommon to imagine that male musicians think with their libido..    Just check out any old Bo Carter song...   LOL.

Youtube Bo Carter if you don't know what I'm speaking of.

Guitar Center Sucks...  It has for a long time, and keeps sucking more day after day.
yeahright

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 08:24:16 PM »

Yes, they have a LOT of female greeters. That's the lowest-paid position in the store, I think, with practically no promotional prospects.

They have practically NO women in sales, where you can actually make some money, and I only know of one woman at the level of department manager or higher, except the ones who work in corporate at the mother ship.
Al Duktuura

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 03:49:17 AM »

Okay... so they expect to combat sexism and becoming more female friendly by offering a low end, garishly pink instrument? If they think Daisy Rock is going to make their stores less sexist, they need to take Gender Equality 101.
Lesson 1: Don't be condescending to women. Give me the frakking Gibson, not a second rate after thought product.
Lesson 2: Pink =/= women friendly. What you're doing is re-enforcing gender stereotypes rather than breaking barriers. The fact that this has to be pointed out further proves my point that (most) business majors shouldn't be allowed to call themselves college educated individuals.
jokah311

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 05:02:01 AM »

Take a marketing class. Mfc will not supply it if people dont buy it.

Girls want pink guitars.

Hardly a gender stereo type, men feel forced to wear pink thanks to some fundraising branding.

I also love how women bitch and call it sexism. Every music shop I have walked into tells me about their lessons. Should I blow some bull**** whistle and say theyre racist against ... my 1/8th dutch? or is it the 1/16 nat amer. or maybe its the 1/4 german?

Cmon people. Bad sales is bad sales. Any middle aged guy walking in and asking a stupid question because they taught themselves guitar @ age 12, and never learned any correct terms, will get the "heres a $300 model, heres some lessons"

I have 10x that in pedals alone.  Wink

thegreatgazoo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 06:56:57 AM »

I think there is some missing the point and misconstruing of the issue here.

The point is that GC is a sexist place to work and shop.
Either you are looked down at as a female musician there to shop or you are kept from any hope of a decent paycheck or career (if you consider working for GC a career, male or female) by a long term network of failed rock star frat boy types running the company.
We're not talking about pink guitars for sale here, we're talking about pink guitars donated to female based music programs as enticement due to a well earned bad reputation in the business. We're talking about female employees regularly referred to in a derogatory sense due to their sex, and expected to take it.

If you were black and your fellow employees/managers regularly dropped the N-bomb on you, we'd be talking class action lawsuit.
At GC, you can be called a bitch, or worse, on the regular... kept in a front door greeter position and told to look pretty, even if you can outplay the whole store... kept from a promotion cause you "just aren't the one", etc...

The article listed above is about the highest level female employee taking a very questionable marketing route in dealing with this sexism, rather than taking a hard stance against it in her organization.  He could be unpopular for the short term and get something positive done, or she can tow the line the good ol boys like and keep her job.  She chose the latter.
Laura could have been a real game changer.  Over the course of the time I worked at GC, she helped keep/promote a lot of people in positions that were/are a huge part of the problem. 
thegreatgazoo2

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 01:45:46 AM »

http://www.examiner.com/article/first-annual-womens-she-rocks-awards-to-be-held-at-namm-2013

Hilarious that no one outside the rank and file of GC seems to know exactly who Laura Taylor really is...
CamKrist
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 10:37:55 AM »

Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.
Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: