Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Oil Can Delay...  (Read 4812 times)
SalesAss
Super Duper Mega Rock Star Type Person and Defender of Mulletude.
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 15, 2011, 04:06:12 AM »

I am looking to track down one of these,  and I wonder how the sound compares to a tape unit such as Echoplex.

Guitar Center Sucks...  It has for a long time, and keeps sucking more day after day.
SalesAss
Super Duper Mega Rock Star Type Person and Defender of Mulletude.
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 05:11:58 PM »

I ended up finding the Gibson version..  (regarded as one of the quietest)....   Got it fixed as a team effort between myself and an amp guy.. 

Mode 1 is super short delay...
Mode 2 is Short Delay  (Sun Records Style)
Mode 3 is the both put together..  with a little vibrato for good measure.

I must say,  I actually find it pretty darn cool,   especially after having to research and fix it...   knowing how it works.

I guess the proper name is  Electrostatic Delay Line...   rather than  Oil Can.

Guitar Center Sucks...  It has for a long time, and keeps sucking more day after day.
DeadKoby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 03:54:20 AM »

Those things are selling for 4 figures on ebay now if they work.........  pretty darn expensive!  They are cool indeed,  but that cool?
RevNigel

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:28:46 AM »

The Gibson GA-4RE is one that actually sounds like an echo/reverb........  it lacks the wierdness that many of the Fenders had....     Simple controls,  and a pretty darn nice sound.   The original Tel-Rays were made for Organs.....  that swirl would have worked great...   Guitar guys adapted them for guitar... with some weirdness.   The Fender units sound like the TelRays...       It's my opinion that Gibson's version is best suited for the Guitar.  It's the Tel-Ray oil can for sure,  but the tubes and circuit are Gibson's amp style.    Gibson amps had a knack for good studio sounds, and it seems they rarely focused on stage volume in their amp division.
Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: