Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Honesty and Integrity my ass...  (Read 9867 times)
gcsux

View Profile Email
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »

Would love to hear some stories from those of you out there that are based on the complete hypocrisy of the whole "Honesty and Integrity" BS the corporate d bags toss around.  Most especially your district and store managers, but we all know that one specific exec got the can for breaking these "values". And that guy was an absolute royal douche that relished in firing anyone for the slightest infraction.
But I'm talking some other really juicy stuff. Don't expose yourself to anything that would come back to hurt you, but lets hear what you can tell. 
I know I've personally seen some ridiculously awful stuff.
SalesAss
Super Duper Mega Rock Star Type Person and Defender of Mulletude.
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 03:51:44 AM »

Welcome to the sideshow.   The preceding boards had lots of great stories, and I'd love to get this one loaded back up with that kind of stuff.  Thanks for your help.

Guitar Center Sucks...  It has for a long time, and keeps sucking more day after day.
gcsux

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:12:16 AM »

Really? Nothing?
This board is called GC Sucks and no one has any stories about how ****ty they treat their employees?
The backstabby District Managers, the sexual discrimination, the firings to protect their own asses while they constantly chide anyone who dares to "throw them under the bus" by telling the truth?
How about the joke of an HR dept?
The manipulation of pay?
The mistreatment of non sales staff?
The lies and false promises?
The complete lack of ability or education by the DMs, and then the managers they fire when they have no answers to give them?

Come on now, somebody's got to have something good, or does GC have everyone by the balls that much?
Its just a retail job, you know... they are a dime a dozen, and GC has just fooled you into thinking its a legitimate career path. Good luck trying to get anything BUT another retail job if you keep putting your faith in GC.

Can't begin to count the number of good people that have been fired by the deceitful management of GC for daring to speak up.
Guess that hasn't changed one bit, huh?
SalesAss
Super Duper Mega Rock Star Type Person and Defender of Mulletude.
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 08:05:28 AM »

It'll come around.   This web site was asleep for a few years.... it will take a little while to revive.

Guitar Center Sucks...  It has for a long time, and keeps sucking more day after day.
Tyler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 07:50:31 AM »

I never had any horribly bad experiences when I worked at GC. There are some people that work there that I am amazed by. I worked at two locations. I first started in the drum shop and had an incredibly knowledgeable Assistant Manager who knew anything you asked about acoustic drums, electronic drums, latin percussion etc. Even pro audio stuff that could be used by a drummer, he was your guys. The dept. manager was just the opposite. He was an idiot on a power trip and THOUGHT he knew it all. I enjoyed many jokes about him, brought to me by customers.

Then I switched departments because being paid entirely in commisions sucks in a dept that only accounts for about 8% of GC's business. I switched to Accesories because I'm a huge pedalgeek and thought that'd be the best place for me. My new dept manager wasn't a total piece of s**t like the last, but despite the fact that he was one of the nicest individuals I've met working there, I still had to wonder how he had a job. Very shortly after going to Accs, he started asking me questions about everything in there and on many occasions, had to intervene in his sales because I would hear him giving wrong information.

There were a couple of sales/coupons that really pissed me off. Any sale that had to be put under the stores number because it would cause the salesguy/girl to lose money if put under the employee's number is total bulls**t. I recall one coupon that raised a lot of hell gave customers "$25 off w/ no minimum purchase." All day, people were coming in and using these coupons to get free strings or other small things that would cause me to lose money if I took credit for the sale. The way GC's commision works isn't right. It should be just off of gross sales, not this b/s 10% of gross profit and 2% of gross sales. If a business wants to pay their staff commision, they shouldn't do so in a way where any time the corporate office decides to have a sale, the commisioned salesstaff has to keep an eye out for transactions that come out of their paycheck. The employee should not have to worry about profit margins affecting the way they get paid. The customer also shouldn't have to worry about that either. Why?

If you've never worked at Guitar Center, then I'll break it down. Typically, cheap crap profits better than quality products. So say you're looking for a $300 acoustic guitar, you've got a few choices from brands such as Ibanez, Fender, Mitchell, Yamaha etc. Since the employee makes the majority of their commision on how much their sales profit, who's to say your friendly salesguy isn't gonna recommend you the garbage Mitchell because that guitar is 40% profit versus the 25% profit margin of other quality brands. Make sense?
Tyler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 07:57:50 AM »

I got a talking to towards the end of my employment with GC because I thought using T.O. Inquiries to find the most profitable gear was wrong. In my mind, knowing what profits the most is the last thing I need to know about when making a recommendation for a customer. It kinda sucks that I don't get to be around my passion when I'm at work anymore, but I am glad I don't have to deal with the b/s that is the Guitar Center corporation.
gcsux

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 09:03:24 PM »

Working at GC is like working at any store in the mall. You are replaceable and if you quit there are a hundred people looking to take the job. Sucks but get an education and get a better job.

While I totally agree with you, that is off topic.
This thread is about current or former GC employees who have stories about just how bad the place blows.
Now, a good story might be how when they left GC they couldn't get anything else but another retail job, since the training and reputation of GC is dirt in the rest of the real world.
Thats I'd like to hear about.
Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: