Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Women and GC  (Read 18202 times)
gcsux

View Profile Email
« on: June 14, 2011, 07:11:27 AM »

Sucks when you get called out in a company wide email for being the misogynists that you are, doesn't it, GC?
Maybe if you would have done something about it, the many times these issues have come up over the last ten years, it wouldn't come to this.

I'm just wondering when anyone at corporate is going to have the backbone to actually fire a district manager over this stuff.
I have seen these exact situations, and WORSE, happen and been ignored by both district and HR management.
In fact, I've been threatened for the act of reporting it.

The women in high level management positions at GC are also complicit and should be ashamed of themselves.
They have let this stuff happen over and over again without doing a thing in order to collect a check.

I just gotta love watching Rome burn, though, while Nero plays a Strat.
You douches are so clueless...
terror
Always Right, Never Wrong.
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 09:10:36 AM »

several days later there was an official corporate response to the 'Goodbye' e-mail. Imagine what it said and you'll probably be about 90% verbatim.

Don't hurt 'em Terror....they're so small and you're so big...
GCSchmoe
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:31:40 PM »

Cheers to that.

It's nice to know I wasn't the only one. That store is the epitome of misogyny. I wish I knew more about your story. Like my experience there, I'm sure it had something to do with ongoing sexual harassment, lack of HR acknowledgment and the impossibility of promotion...EVEN with stellar numbers.
SalesAss
Super Duper Mega Rock Star Type Person and Defender of Mulletude.
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:20:59 AM »

For some reason, whenever it comes to electronics, some people think that Men automatically know more about it......   It's really not the case.   I have seen first hand customers unfairly taking it to female workers...   Can't say I've been inside to see management mishap

Guitar Center Sucks...  It has for a long time, and keeps sucking more day after day.
GCxGF

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:21:28 PM »

Did I really just hear that an employee said during a staff meeting that " . . .  if you want to make good money, you have to learn how to 'give good phone' . . . . . " ?!?!?  And then defended it up by saying that it was in fact a reference to oral sex and "that's what used to be said back in the good old days. . . when everyone knew the G in the Guitar Center name was meant to be a cocaine spoon"Huh??   I really cannot f*cking stand this place. I hope Romney drives it into the f*cking ground along with all the misogynistic chauvinistic stoned stupid assholes that rotate thru the place. They rotate staff like a friggin Petsmart. Who can take the place seriously anymore?
SalesAss
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 04:34:37 AM »

Goodness..   Sounds like there's some real morons running the show.

Guitar Center Sucks...  It has for a long time, and keeps sucking more day after day.
yeahright

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 08:17:55 PM »

I worked in one of the largest stores in the country, and was the ONLY woman on the sales staff for most of the time I was employed. The store manager constantly made sexist as well as homophobic comments and jokes, including in staff meetings in front of everyone. I'm a tough person and a bit older than the average GC employee, so I was able to tolerate it, but other women who were hired to sales quit within a couple of weeks, usually, because of harassment from their male co-workers -- including during staff meetings in front of every manager, including the store manager. One poor woman in Accessories who was SERIOUSLY knowledgeable and experienced in other music sales and marketing positions got called a "bitch" by a co-worker who threatened to beat her up and/or rape her, sometimes to get her to put him on sales he'd done nothing to make. And he used that word and made those threats at some closing staff huddles, meaning that every manager except the store manager heard it. She complained to the store manager: she got fired, and the guy harassing her got a plasma TV for selling so much stuff that he didn't really sell.

I complained to HR. I didn't get fired, but nothing was done about the situation. And the store manager retaliated by scheduling me for extra shifts -- six to seven days a week of full shifts -- even though: a) I hadn't requested them; b) I complained repeatedly via the company email; and c) the extra shifts he was putting me on were, for example, on Monday mornings, when we did NOT need extra staff. I informed HR at corporate of this immediately, but continued to punch in and out when I was scheduled, even for extra shifts, to document the violation of company policy.

Eventually, I just decided it wasn't worth the hassle. I was barely seeing my family with all of the extra shifts, my back was being hurt by carrying all those heavy amps up and down stairs and ladders for as much as 14 hours/day 7 days/wk, and I figured that if the company ever did do anything, it wouldn't be enough to make up for the harassment.

Something like six months after I quit, the store manager was fired, but to this day, there are NO women in sales or management anywhere on that huge staff. Women can work the door, but that's it.
SalesAss
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 03:33:10 AM »

There was one sales girl I remember from a number of years ago before I started avoiding GC's....   She was fine... easy to work with.   Then again,  I'm not hard to work with.

Nameless Coward
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 05:49:36 AM »

So, this forum consists of a half dozen people with an axe to grind? How global. Personally, I agree that women aren't properly represented in the overall population of the company. Not sure what the answer is to that. Personally, anyone that treats women badly in any workplace as described in some of these posts is an imbecile and should be dealt with as such. Also, if you feel you were unfairly treated by GC, file a lawsuit. Go to the BBB or the EEOC. Make your complaint formal.
   And, in closing, whine less and act more. Sniveling never got anyone anywhere.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:57:00 PM by SalesAss » Logged
wrangles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 05:15:43 AM »

So, this forum consists of a half dozen people with an axe to grind? How global. Personally, I agree that women aren't properly represented in the overall population of the company. Not sure what the answer is to that. Personally, anyone that treats women badly in any workplace as described in some of these posts is an imbecile and should be dealt with as such. Also, if you feel you were unfairly treated by GC, file a lawsuit. Go to the BBB or the EEOC. Make your complaint formal.

I'm a female who has been working at guitar center for 6 years, and in Music retail for 8 years.  I got pregnant, got demoted for "other reasons" but it basically came down to my restrictions, and i did file with the EEOC.  The beauty of it is "Nameless Coward", its a huge corporation, with high paid attorney's on retainer, and a lot of he said/she said.  My boss at the time actually claimed that he didn't even know that I was pregnant until I gave him my restrictions......FIVE MONTHS INTO MY PREGNANCY.  Everyone knew.  I just had no smoking gun to file a suit and the deadline ran out for right  to sue from the EEOC.   The next day I found corespondence between my boss and myself talking about me being pregnant and needing help well before he claimed to have known.  So we don't just bitch and whine, sometimes we do try to file a lawsuit.  But at the end of the day, when you are staring at your boss as he's demoting you, and you want to stand up and spit in his face and walk out, you have to realize "Hey, I have a family that needs this insurance".  This forum is a vent system for people who have other people who can empathize.  don't read if you get so offended.....
gctruth

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 08:51:13 AM »

Wrangles,
     Enjoyed your post and its absolutley 100% accurate of not only the way women are treated at &_ but also of how GC dist and HR managers are clueless to how dangerously close they walk on the wrong side of the line.  The nameless coward is actually a gc emp that fits the above description to a T.  I like the way nameless coward agrees that women at gc are not represented well, that even though they are in a position to make a changex their response is they don't know what to do?  Here's an idea, how about representing and treating women fairly?  Just an idea.  And I am pretty sure what happened in your case was the dist mgr telling the store manager that. He needed to demote you, largley due to the circumstance you described, let's put it this way if it wasn't you I'm thinking of, I watched him do it to someone in a very similar situation, and your right that was his reasoning, plain and simple.  And its beyond wrong.  But yet hr backed him up, go figure only at gc, and the store mgr really has nothing they can do at that point.  Also your right, this is a great forum where people can share their honest thoughts regarding gc, good and bad, right or wrong ... and right now the administrator is looking for help to keep it going.  I've committed and recommend all the users who have taken advantage of this site, to contact the administrator and give back for the forum they have provided all of us.  Thanks ....
thegreatgazoo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »

Funny, I saw this post when it first aired, and kudos for taking this jerk's real name down, but it seems to me that a guy that is willing to get down on his knees and give his bosses a virtual blow job by posting this kind of corporate yes man kind of BS (with his real name, no less) is the biggest kind of tool there is. 
There were plenty of these kind of guys on the old board. "I'm so and so from store xxx and you all are a bunch of babies" was the usual starting point.  A total desperate cry for help, in my opinion, if someone is that willing to throw all self dignity out the window and pander that hard to their bosses at a retail store.
I mean, your not even working in banking, or any other kind of ****ty corporation that you could actually MAKE REAL MONEY at for ass kissing.  It's the equivalent of tattling on a fellow employee for taking too many smoke breaks at The Olive Garden, FFS.
You're ass kissing so someone will look the other way when you don't hit your PG percentage, broseph, nothing more.
How lame is THAT?
thegreatgazoo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 12:12:17 PM »

To get back on topic, GC has quite possibly the worst treatment of women in a workplace I have ever seen.
I'm not even gonna bother touching on all the stories I could go into, but it's shameful.
I don't see how any women stay on at all.  It's not like the pay is any good.
SalesAss
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 05:15:26 AM »

Thus,  let us support our better indie stores.  Drive a little farther,  wait a little longer if they have to order it,  pay without a wierd blowout coupon.  Go home feeling better about yourself.

thegreatgazoo2

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 07:43:25 AM »

http://www.gtweekly.com/index.php/santa-cruz-area-music/music-features-reviews-interviews/3810-hear-her-roar.html

Great typical GC douche quote about halfway into the article.... lol.
Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: