Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Other sites to review GC on and a "best of"  (Read 14246 times)
thegreatgazoo

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2012, 10:08:51 AM »

So I thought I'd start a post with a listing of my favorite sites that have honest reviews of GC.
One thing to be aware of whenever you Google a major company is that it is regular practice to pay various firms to "search" for beneficial (positive) links to your business. This means that then, when Joe Nobody looks up your company, the top sites that are listed are the most positive ones, and the negative ones get buried on page 22. It's a real thing, and I have been told GC does use a service like this.  They also use a service that searches for anytime the term "Guitar Center" is used on the internet, as well.
So everyone say "hi" to them now...

Below are a few of my favorites, with a brief description.
You can, of course, also review any individual store, via Google, Yelp. Yahoo, etc.

I say feel free to post your own favorite links in response, and also quote your favorite reviews that you have found anywhere online.  I'm sure we can find some funny ones.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Guitar-Center-Reviews-E6704.htm
Decent site.  But, they would not post any of the reviews I've tried to post. They can't handle the truth, I guess. there are some obvious "reviews" by current employees placed to offset the negative ones.

http://www.topix.com/forum/com/gtrc/TAUIKV4AU89SFP83D
Well, its Topix, so things are bound to get down and dirty. Beware that your location may be posted by the site.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Guitar_Center
Pretty straight forward. Some great reviews.

http://guitar-center-reviews.measuredup.com/3802
Again, more great reviews.  None appear to be dated.

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/guitar-center-credit-card/
Good info. Borrower beware!

http://www.epinions.com/webs-Web_Services-All-Merchants-Guitar_Center?sb=1
This one is a bit weird.  They have GC listed as 4.5 out of 5, but the reviews show a lot of 1's.  Apparently, they use "surveys" that are given at the store level by GC employees and then submitted.  So there are over a 1000 surveys that paint a pretty picture of GC, and 43 more in depth reviews that show a whole other story. Anyone else smell a rat here?

http://www.complaintsboard.com/bycompany/guitar-center-a51384.html
good stuff.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/guitarcenter.html
More goodness.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/directory/guitar-center.aspx
Ripoff report.  Self Explanatory.

http://www.edroman.com/rants/customerrants.htm
Classic
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:35:25 PM by thegreatgazoo » Logged
thegreatgazoo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:25:28 AM »

http://www.mightybargainhunter.com/2010/05/13/a-quick-lesson-in-translating-guitar-center-ese/

Great review of the pitfalls of pro coverage. 
Note the comment sections at the bottom, and Jeremy Cole rushing to put out a fire.
Also note that, like I said, they monitor the hell out of the internet, and he responds to someone else entirely months after the conversation has moved on, trying to make a sale.  Pretty douchey to me.
But then, I suppose that's what you have to be to be corporates lap dog.
thegreatgazoo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:40:15 AM »

review of Hollywood GC off of Google:

"Back in the day when it was still legit to being in a rock band GC was the place to load up on awesome gear because they would knock off a couple bucks here or there throw in extras and were committed to the "move" but they there's too much red tape now and prices so stiff that its become almost impossible to want to keep playing, for the employee's its a 9-5 nowhere, failed musicians gig with a front so evident its almost never any fun to want to pick up strings, sticks, or synth.  Embarrassed Never the same after some corporate jarhead thought he could save the music world and make a quick buck...rock is dead...keep listening to the classics.
Liked: Dead musicians Disliked: Service, Value, The NAME"

Pasadena:
"Want to be treated like an idiot? Walk into this Guitar Center with a vagina.  Lips sealed The salesmen are all awful and their knowledge is mediocre. It's like a shark pit in there because all of the salesmen are desperate to make a commission off of you. They pressure you until you buy something or leave. They also hover, and it's annoying. The Guitar salesmen such as Rick, Bernard, Mike, and Allen are creeps. Earnest is less of a creep, but he's not knowledgeable to help you out with gear info. The Pro Audio guys, especially the blond skinny guy, and the guy with long hair, are rude. The only truly decent person in the place is Ben, the repair guy who's not completely affiliated with Guitar Center. You can go to Ben with any kind of problem and he'll be glad to help you out. He's helped me out a few times with small (but time consuming) things, all free of charge. Stay clear of this place if you can"

Las Vegas:
"So, after spending over $500 on a new bass and amp and accessories, the tech didn't have time before christmas to do the set-up on the instrument. So we came back today, dropped another $80 not including the $45 for the set-up. Multiple sales associates told me the tech could take care of it while we wait. Well, after waiting an hour, going to get lunch, waiting another hour, the tech tells me "Oh, I don't have time for that today." Why, because it's only a $200 bass? The guitar that another customer bought was being set-up same day. I told him we'd been waiting 2 hours and he didn't care. We picked up the bass and told him we'll get it done somewhere else. We will not have him do work on our instruments. He said he didn't care as he does "$7-8000 per week". Nice, just lost two long time musician customers. Nice selection, but the tech is a jerk. Dude, you're just a guitar tech. Get over yourself. "  Grin

Clackamas:
"The WalMart of Musical instruments (except the price) I went into this store 3 separate times over a 6 month period. I wanted to look at a Gibson Hummingbird guitar and a Les Paul Standard another time and probably buy them. These are fairly high end guitars and both times I asked for some help on looking at and maybe purchasing these guitars. On the Hummingbird the salesman said "This isn't a zoo, if you want to look go there" Maybe he didn't hear the buy part but still; I thought wow okay and left. On the LP Standard the salesmen said he was too busy then but if I came back tomorrow he would help me. So I came back the next day and asked for him by the name he gave and they told me he had that day off. So I asked another guy if I could look at the LP Standard and maybe buy it. He told me 'we can't just let everyone that wants to look to handle our expensive guitars'. I told him that if I liked it I would probably buy it, he said 'well when you know what you want come back and we will sell it to you."  Shocked
SalesAss
Super Duper Mega Rock Star Type Person and Defender of Mulletude.
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 04:51:11 AM »

There was a time when I could have bought whatever I wanted,  but the sales morons killed any chance of a sale.  Either I wasn't taken seriously.........  or I was annoyed to a fault.

Guitar Center Sucks...  It has for a long time, and keeps sucking more day after day.
thegreatgazoo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »

A very thought out and reasonable review on the never ending problem GC has with common sense management and sales.
The guy wants the 12% off with a valid coupon he has and is denied because GC had to price match their own damn price, via MF.
This, after he already has guitar in hand and has, incredibly, agreed to wait 4 days  Shocked to get it freaking restrung, as well.
Those Mitchells are easily 50%GP, too, which makes this all the more stupid.

From measuredup.com:

"On Saturday, February 04, 2012 at the Louisville, KY Guitar Center (GC) I went to purchase the Mitchell MD 100S12 guitar that I found on their website. I have been looking at purchasing this guitar for some time now and what sent me over the edge so-to-speak is the advertisement on their website (February 03 & February 04) for 12% off of a single item $149 or more. I had to sign up for it and they emailed me the coupon. I received the coupon and I carefully read the fine print of the coupon (twice) to make sure this item would be eligible and I found nothing from the manufacturer or anything in fine print from GC that would exclude this item from being 12% off the maximum discounted price as stated in the coupon.

On their website, the maximum guaranteed lowest price for this guitar is $199.00. Using my zip code I insured this particular guitar was at my local GC and it was. When I arrived at my local GC in Louisville, I found the Mitchell MD100S12 but quickly noticed there was a different price tag on it. They had it marked at $249.00 not $199.00 as advertised on their website (that should have been a red-flag for me). NOTE: As of February 5, 2012 (Sunday) and before this date, this particular item was NOT a “clearance item” on the GC website! I spoke to the sales associate about it and she checked the website and apologized. She said she didn’t know why it was like that but she could honor the lowest price as advertised on the website. No problem, so I thought…

I wanted to have the strings changed to Elixir’s and she assisted me with finding Elixir 12 strings and then we preceded to speak with the gentleman who would be changing the strings and tuning the instrument for me. He informed me that he was backed up and it probably would not be ready until next Tuesday which wasn’t a big deal for me so I proceeded to pay for the guitar and sign the ticket to have him change the strings and tune it. In addition, I would have bought a stand and probably a case for it and I talked to the sales associate about eventually buying an electric guitar and amp from GC.

As we approached the counter to check out, I informed the sales associate that I also had a 12% off coupon and that’s when the trouble began. She informed me that she didn’t think she could give me the 12% off because she was matching the online price and she left to go and speak to I suppose a manager. Another associate approached me while I was waiting at the counter and asked if he could help me and I explained to him what was going on and he said it shouldn’t be a problem and got on the computer and then hesitated and said that he wasn’t sure. He gave his apologies too because he said the system was confusing and flawed.

I’m not sure what they were seeing on the computer because as of 02/05/12 (and before this date) this item is not marked as a clearance item nor is it a used item which would disqualify it according to the coupon terms and it is displayed at the Guaranteed Lowest Price on the website.

The lady returned with another younger gentleman (I guess he was a manager) and he explained they could only honor one or the other, whichever was the cheapest of the two. From what I could understand, since they were marking down the displayed price of $249.00 in their store to match the online price, they could not honor the coupon. The in-store price should have been $199.00 to begin with so that is nothing more than the typical used-car salesman bait-and-switch tactic used in the 70’s. I didn’t think businesses relied on such tactics in this day and age but I guess I’m wrong.

The lady who originally worked with me apologized to me again (clearly she could see the flaw and unethical tactics being used) so I just walked out promising to never to return again. What I feel the manager should have done (what I would have done being a leader) is to say, you know what, there’s something not right here on our part and to keep your business I’m going to go ahead and honor the coupon too. Is there anything else I can help you with? No, instead I got an arrogant attitude. That’s okay though… I should have known when I first saw the inflated price on the instrument that this was a typical bait-and-switch scam, but like I said, I didn’t think these tactics were still being used today.

So, I did not buy the 12 string Mitchell guitar, a stand & case from GC nor will I be buying my electric guitar and amp from GC. In fact, I will not ever buy a darn thing from GC ever again—not even a guitar pick!

I hope saving the 12% (or $23.88) was worth losing a longtime potential customer because in opinion, it wasn’t a good deal on GC’s end especially when I would have spent exceptionally more than that in equipment and lessons in the future. Oh well, I’ll stick with locally owned stores that care about their customers and keeping them for the long-haul. Just Google "Guitar Center complaints" and read the complaints from their own employees and that should tell you something about this company. I just wish I had done that before I had wasted my gas and time going there yesterday"
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:50:33 AM by thegreatgazoo » Logged
thegreatgazoo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 11:55:26 AM »

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/guitar-center-indianapolis-indiana-c580200.html

"I continue to have difficulty with the people in the Pro Audio department and Managers at this store .
first let me tell you that both managers are RUDE . quick to answer before you even finish talking. they assume they know what you want to say . I hate being cut off. and this is an on going trend from this store. Scott who used to be in audio is a manager now would turn and walk away while i was talking to him .

this hurry up and buy crap at the Indianapolis store is getting old. I don't want to be told . you can look that up on line. You can return it in 30 days . I want the Info i asked about. they can't even take the time to look it up.
I used to deal with Anthony all the time . I found out that Anthony was not at guitar center after Scott said that he fired Anthony to an employee and was laughing about it, I needed to buy more speakers and lights for the Youth Group but looks like i will have to go to SamAsh to be taken Serious. THANK YOU GUITAR CENTER for getting rid of the only employee who cared"

GC is great at getting rid of the employees who care. They don't fit in with the business model...
thegreatgazoo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/guitarcenter.html

W. T. F.?  Huh

"After I documented several Attorney General complaints for Guitar Center fraud (failure to honor discount coupons, misrepresentation of product, failure to provide tracking for paid shipping, etc) Guitar Center's customer service manager, Jeremy ** at corporate banned me from doing business with Guitar Center and its affiliates in Dec 2010. Mr. ** is not an officer of the company nor is he their legal counsel. His certified letter was not notarized nor clearly signed by an officer of the company or by legal counsel. By May 2011, I was buying again until Sept 2011 when I received a defective pedal.

I attempted a return to a local GC and was bluntly told by North Olmsted, OH store manager, Dana **, that he was told by his management not to talk to me. He refused the return in violation of GC's documented and advertised procedures. The Nashville store that sold me the pedal refused to pay for return shipping, again in violation of GC procedures. My wife attempted to use three gift cards totaling $60 at the Columbus, OH store via online. GC canceled her orders and my orders and invalidated the $60 gift cards"

http://www.edroman.com/rants/customerrants.htm
Third letter down looks to be the same guy.  This appears to be the actual letter in which they tell him to take his $ and piss off...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:39:06 PM by thegreatgazoo » Logged
thegreatgazoo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 12:59:14 PM »

http://www.guitarforworship.com/?p=1850

Decent quick rundown of a visit... the real gems are in the lengthy commentary afterwards.
SalesAss
Super Duper Mega Rock Star Type Person and Defender of Mulletude.
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 07:58:38 AM »

Cool Cool...  Thx for sharing.

Guitar Center Sucks...  It has for a long time, and keeps sucking more day after day.
thegreatgazoo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 08:56:12 AM »

Fantastic.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=guitar%20center
thegreatgazoo2

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 07:24:15 AM »

Great review of the Cons of working for GC on Glassdoor.com:

"Cons – This place is extremely competitive. I mean that I have NEVER worked at a company in which no matter how many years of experience I have, this place makes you seem like you are the dumbest person ever. They seem to make it their purpose to knock people down instead of building up their team. I work in an area where you have to interact with several different people in different capacities and different levels of management.

From what I have heard from SVP down is that this place is competitive and each person in the room does their best to tear the next person down. This is not the environment where a "team" environment is fostered. From the top to the bottom is very "I blame you".

Speaking on top level management, this place is extremely heavy in "titles". There are SOOOOSOOOOOSOOOO SOO many Directors, VP, SVP that the managers are really coordinators or at least doing the work of a coordinator. I believe they have all these titles to get people to work for them because I cannot see how anyone else would want to work out here if they have down their research they would truly know better. The salaries are not competitive with other companies in the area and it takes about 20 people to make a decision unless you are an EVP.

Enough said...you get the picture!!"

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: