Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Don't buy the first thing you see  (Read 7510 times)
Jazz_box

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2014, 06:09:28 AM »

True story: A woman and her teenage son go into GC (first mistake). He pretty much knows that he wants a $900. acoustic that says "Taylor" on the headstock. That was the set max. amount of money that they were willing to spend, and Mom apparently has the credit card.

I observed them as they haggle the salesman over the price... No discounts here. Now I knew exactly what would happen next. The teenager needs a case. The salesman would only offer a canvas gig bag, otherwise the case costs an additional $110.

Second mistake:  they should've walked out of the store right there! A guitarist should always consider protection for the instrument and a cheap canvas gig bag ain't good enough for a $900 Taylor.

Third mistake: don't buy something on the first day. Shop around at some other stores (not GC) and look on the internet. Taylors are everywhere. And there are numerous different models too.
iHate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 07:59:50 AM »

So... You get mad when the sales associate refuses to give away a $110 case for free and take a cut in his below-living wage? Get out of here.
Jazz_box

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 03:12:00 AM »

No, it's not my intention to help or hurt the sales person's income. But in that particular instance, the salesman remained silent about the need for additional money required for a case. The buyer thought that the $900 price was the price. Some of us guitarists know that the issue of a case needs to be known upfront.

It almost seemed as though the salesman let the buyer walk into a trap.
phase4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 12:28:25 AM »

I see a lot of bad things happen at GC, but I don't think that anything was done wrong here.

The salesman wasn't "offering" a gig bag. The $900 was the price including the gig bag. Some Taylor models come with hard cases and some come with gig bags, which are pretty good on Taylors. This one came with a gig bag. That's Taylor's decision, not the salesman's. If the customer wanted a hard case, that's an upgrade and upgrades cost money.

I also don't see any problem with the "no discount here." The salesmen get paid very low hourly wages and have to sell a certain amount relative to that to make commission, which is way you do see some unethical behavior at times. But in this instance, why should he give a discount? If he does, it basically comes out of his pocket. Why should he help pay for this kids guitar?

Guitar Center will match any legitimately advertised price. One reason they can do this is the low wages and the fact that the brunt of most discounts are coming out of the salesman's potential compensation anyway.

GC salesmen are under great pressure to sell. Discounting is a tool they can use to try to make the sale. GC customers have thus become conditioned to always expect discounts but many don't understand that that money is coming out of the salesman's pocket.
Jazz_box

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 04:51:01 AM »

I'm learning something here from your response. You wrote "The salesmen get paid very low hourly wages and have to sell a certain amount relative to that to make commission, which is way you do see some unethical behavior at times. But in this instance, why should he give a discount? If he does, it basically comes out of his pocket. Why should he help pay for this kids guitar?"

I don't usually think about the sales person's financial situation. It sounds like there's some politics at GC that starts at the corporate level, then only the "big-wigs" are the winners. Whenever I walk into GC, I don't know who's in upper management or who's in a lower position. And I have no idea what "phase 3" is.
SalesAss
Super Duper Mega Rock Star Type Person and Defender of Mulletude.
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 10:07:57 PM »

I don't think GC did anything dirty here...     but I do think that Indie dealers can bend a little more relative to pricing and bundles.

Guitar Center Sucks...  It has for a long time, and keeps sucking more day after day.
PaolinhaGox

371637138 paolinhaszlats@gmail.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 01:28:30 PM »

All women love shopping, so, come and share with everybody what did you buy today

Margaretkip
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »

Falite. Google "shipping VG from Hawaii". You will see  " 1 gal veg glycerin". It says they will ship from Alaska, hawaii and parts of US.  I would contact them if I were you.  K
Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: