Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Guitar Center #334 Union  (Read 9396 times)
jldrums

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2015, 02:21:29 AM »

After working for this company for almost 5 years I have watched many great coworkers come and go, mostly because this company fails to recognize and support its staff. In the past year I have seen this same company repeatedly tell its staff not to unionize or even talk with organizers because the company knows best  how to serve us. Well, since Mike Pratt has left the company our new CEO Darrel Webb has sent correspondence to managers talking about making $6 million cuts in labor. Meanwhile he commutes to work from Oregon to the companyís headquarters in California via their private jet (4k-9k/hr). Sounds like the company knows how to best serve themselves.

I have played a large role in forming a union at our store 334 Central Chicago. Since union organizing began at Guitar Center, the company has given employees raises, advanced scheduling, and expanded discount rights. Now the company is going back on Phase 3, eliminating discount rights, and cutting hours for employees. Just a week ago, the union at 334 met with executives at the company and legally protected our discounting rights. Thatís just one example how being in a union has improved our jobs.  If you think Guitar Center will give you higher wages and better benefits than a union contract you should ask yourself, well then why is Guitar Center spending Millions of dollars (that could go to the workers) every year to make sure the employees don't unionize? Because we'll make less money with a union contract? It doesn't make sense.

Moving forward, I propose that each store have employees call the union and at the very least get information on how to organize to help protect your rights and get what you deserve. Truth is for any unionized worker is that no matter who the CEO or owner of the company is, a contract made with worker input is the best way to maintain and improve our working conditions. 

Management will probably tell you that I'm disgruntled or they'll make up stories about how its not going well here in Chicago. Truth is, I love this company and since unionizing we've never had this kind of solidarity and respect for one another.  We all deserve better.  Back each other up and look out for each other. We all deserve better.

There's nothing to be afraid of.  We can do this together.  Be on the right side of history.

Proud Union Shop. #334
Guitar Center
Central Chicago, IL 

Here are the name of our organizers:

Eric Dryburgh-
646-675-0879
edryburgh@rwdsu.org

Stephanie Basile-
347-583-0490
sbasile@rwdsu.org

We've also received support from these bands and artists:
Roger Waters
Tom Morello
Rise Against
Against Me
Propagandhi
War on Women
Kathleen Hannah
Ted Leo
Aloe Blacc
Anti Flag
Billy Bragg
Bone Thugs and Harmony
F*cked Up
Ian MacKaye
The Thermals
Steve Earle
Aly Jados
NonExotic
The Thermals
The Wood Brothers
Rat Collection
Jonny Rumble
Any many many more.....
terror
Always Right, Never Wrong.
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 04:18:45 AM »

I second this strongly and have talked to Stephanie numerous times, and I'm not at a union store.  This forum gets VERY few views, so there has to be a way to get exactly what you just wrote to employees at large.  I feel no matter how 'protected' they say you are regarding unionizing activity, the company WILL WITHOUT DOUBT find a reason to fire you for doing it, which is the quandry.  Ideas?

Don't hurt 'em Terror....they're so small and you're so big...
terror
Always Right, Never Wrong.
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:44:29 AM »

The reason you don't see all that stuff anymore is because it has become more specialized inventory.  With vintage guitars priced so high that the average person can't afford them, and 99% of customers not being professionals with tons of cash to just drop on 'only the best', the crap just sits there. Dead inventory. Really expensive and basically worthless. The only way something over about five grand gets sold in most markets is online. If something really nice does come in, it goes to Hollywood to be in the background on a tv show until some rich moron shells out $30k for it.  As far as walking out because the sales guy wouldn't S your D, the commission/fade business model is no more, so nobody cares.  The sales people can no longer just do discounts because an entitled adult toddler throws a tantrum and threatens to stomp out or whatever.  Neither can assistant managers.  Neither can managers without real good cause and they've pretty much begun a chainwide effort to purposely 'untrain' (read: discourage) the sport grinders who are just trying get one over on somebody, serial returners, and the various other non profitable nuisance customers.  So yeah, don't let the door hit ya where the good lord splits ya.

Don't hurt 'em Terror....they're so small and you're so big...
Marthakip
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 12:24:26 PM »

Whether it is Guitar Center or the best guitar shop in your region, running a brick and mortar store to sell things is a rough business, and I dont envy anybody who tries to do it.  If you have the option, I think it is smart to focus on selling services instead of selling stuff.
Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: